Fat Ray and Public Bathhouses

Like any decent medieval country, Egypt had a flourishing bathhouses culture. And like any decent medieval country, bathhouses were strictly segregated. Giving a way for an underground homoerotic culture that somehow, in some subversive way survive to this day.
And since these bathhouses are located within the area of medieval Cairo, this area has become what we shall call, "popular". The bathhouses are frequented by weary cab drivers, greasy mechanics and every low-paying job holder in Cairo.
As classist as this sound, it is true.
The remaining demographics are represented by "intrigued" foreigners and "intrigued" Egyptians too. Those who think its actually "cute" to get to experience the former bathhouse culture of the last four hundred years.
But the bathhouse culture glory is way passed its prime. And the remaining "glory" does not go beyond the glory holes and peeping toms that populate the bathouse.
Fat Ray, is a voyeuristic pervert with insatiable sexual appetite (its positively outrageous!)and over a inexplicable binge session in retro restuarant in downtown Cairo, he wantonly shared his experience with the few remaining bathhouses in Cairo.

Me: I don't understand is the place (the bathhouse) clean, well-kept?
Fat Ray: of course not, you bring your own towel, your bathroom slippers and leave our belonging in the car
Me: People actually wonder if anything happens there... ?
Fat Ray: Everything happens there! These people are intercourse oriented! All you see is intercourse everywhere!
Me: Good Heavens! Egyptians do enjoy living up to their reputation!
Fat Ray: aha, one time this guy with a huge **** (censored due to the author's sudden self-consciousness about using the word "penis" on his blog) tried to approach me, (Fat Ray is a shameless size queen! He does not stop mentioning it to anyone and everyone! He goes like, "Hi, I am Fat Ray and I am a certified size queen!) and he actually wanted to kiss me!
Me: My, my, are Egyptian men romantic. But its not the first time you know, I have heard this before and read it before actually. That Egyptian men actually are the "cuddling" type. They like to kiss and cuddle. I guess it is true after all, we are kind by nature.. So did you let him go to "first base"??
Fat Ray: No! I got scared!
Me: You're such a p****!!
Fat Ray: (laughing sheepishly) I know, I just couldn't do it! I-
Me: Save it you low life hussie!
Fat Ray: (openly enjoying the abuse) You don't always get the "right" kind of attention..
Me: You don't say! What do you expect?! This is place is like a breeding ground for every sexual perversion listed in the Psychiatric Manual of Sexual disorders!
Fat Ray: (Still enjoying being verbally abused) one time, this short, fat and hideous old man, kept coming on unto me, I got to that point when I was aggressive, and I never am-
Me: I know! You're too p**** for it!
Fat Ray: anyways, I told him, "forget it Grandpa, ain't gonna happen"!
Me: hmmm, I wonder why, the poor man was only looking for affection! So, like any voyeuristic pervert, do you frequent the "steam room" or the common hot tub?
Fat Ray: Hell no! Its not safe!
Me: Yeah right! Like everything else in the bathhouse is!

At this point, I was too nauseated to continue the conversation and I just shifted my position, turned my attention to another interlocutor and completely ignored Fat Ray.
But I kept wondering, do the idealized images of random and unbridled sexual displays among men still hold grip over our "modern" fantasies?
Is the "gymnasia" still as erotic as it was three thousand years ago?
And why certain fantasies remain so ahistorical for us?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Popular Posts