The Princess of Egypt

So we established the fact that Egyptian men do not take instant liking to my character or what I stand for.
I come across as arrogant, standoffish, aloof, mean, cold, overbearing and unnecessarily critical.
While I don't go all doe-eyed and coquettish over a guy just because he shows interest (I might gush, but with all the wrong guys), a girl speaks her mind and she is forever condemned because of it!

And it sucked, and I cried and then I had a drink and became all philosophical about it.

A colonial child or not, or the victim of a sentimental, bourgeoisie upbringing or what not, there seems to be a missing link between me and the average joes in Cairo.
And many stories ensued from that point onwards.
Whether because it was an inflated ego or a condescending mental attitude, all the stories, did not exactly have a happy ending to it.
And I have the blog to prove it.

So in a desperate attempt to redefine my image and prove to myself and all the vicious queens out there, that I am not a self-hating Egyptian or stuck up bitch, I insisted that I will try the 'yes method'.
Similar to the 'Yes Man' and 'The Year of Yes', the eccentric morbid tried to turn her Karma around by being more open to whatever chances or opportunity that might come her way.
And so one of Kiki Sr.'s friends spotted me in the trashy party and asked Kiki if she can hook us up, I said 'Yes'!
There he was, your average Egyptian joe, the same age group, good traditional middle class family, lots of fun, salt of the earth as they say.
He even had a job!
What more could a girl ask for?!
And he was not versatile.
I should be practically thrilled by this opportunity.
And I was! And I got all dressed up in muted grays and somber blacks, my hair up, all prepped and dandy and off I go with my average joe!
My joe was sweet and cute and there was just enough level of sexual attention to keep my interest piqued.
But old habits die hard, and the elitist notions of class, race, culture and whatever else in between, are usually much more difficult to let go than we think.
And while I am no princess of Egypt, I am one stuck up bitch who has no problem admitting it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a member of the community of versatile average joe's, I demand a little less dissing!!
Anyway, I salute your "yes" trial, I am trying to embrace it myself and it is giving me very good results.
Maybe this specific average joe was not right or maybe the whole experiment is not working for you, I don't know.
Good luck with the hunt!!!
Moses said…
class in egypt is not just an issue of money. unfortunately it runs a lot deeper- fundamental ideology. honesty is to be applauded, but so is optimism
Ice Queer said…
^ Class in the global is not issue of money! Money never make u classy but makes u a nouveau riche, and as they say "Money talks, Class whispers!"

Anyway I agree with anonymous, maybe ur avg joe was not good.

Popular Posts