Urban Number and What Not!

I could not feel more vindicated and secretly snicker at all those bitches who kept saying, I am excluding the mainstream and shunting everyone to the sides, by saying that are three eligible "individuals" in the gay community here (if we could call it as such) for 1000 desperate "other individuals".
The fact that the economy of exchange in the gay scene is quite incestuous is self-evident and needs no elaboration or corroboration from me or anyone.
So when Kiki Jr. discussed with me her last post (The number you've dialled is not in service, ANYMORE!) I was shocked and relieved that my assumption was true.
There are very few interesting people out there.
And even those two or three "individuals" are not psychosis free.
"Other aspects of the Author" as Kiki Jr. pretentiously likes to call it, will include my own side of the story.

Long time ago, when Iraq was still a sovereign country and the Oscars were less political, and gaydar was not such a desolate virtual space, I came across a particular gentleman who I thought was mighty interesting.
Some reference to New York and Eastside sophistication and I decided I should give it a try.
I can't recall if it was me or him who initiated contact, but back then I was still studying Persian (man framoush kardam!) and some reference to that made him very "eager" to get to know me.
So the usual routine ensued, and we exchanged emails, and the next thing you know we are "chatting"!
And the same exact lines Kiki Jr. swooned all over were said to me.
The very same lines that sent Kiki Jr. all over the roof.
The kissing bit, the whole New York shenanigan, all of it.
And just about when we were moving to the "interesting bit", my favorite books, my favorites movies, what kind of music I enjoy listening to, hell broke loose.
My favorite singer of all time is Nina Simone.
A individual I identify with on many levels.
I never imagined that such reference will incur the unbridled wrath of my New York gentleman.
Just the mere mention of poor Nina (may she rest in peace!) got me and her the most unkind of censure.
All of sudden a severe postcolonial attack was fired. I was a "culturally dispossessed" (a term I borrowed, personalized and integrated into my everyday lexicon! lol) subject, who was "divorced from my roots", and a cause for the systematic deterioration for Egyptian culture and heritage.
Where the hell did this come from, I have no idea.

I have never in my life encountered such hostile, hysterical attack on my cultural sympathies, affiliations or sensibilities.
Never.

And I have chatted with so many people, I care to remember or count.
After his vitriolic attack on my person, history and preference, my New York gentleman "blocked" me.
For I was not worthy of his time or attention.
I have irrecoverably shamed my culture and people, the only thing left for me to do, if I were to redeem myself, was take my own life in a public square by disemboweling myself. Japanese style.
And to be honest, I was a little surprised by the reaction.. !
Nina Simone is hardly a "westernized" icon.
The woman was a crazy vagabond till the very last days of her life. She was always on the search for the right balance between her "blackness" and the "whiteness" she wanted to be, and could not.
I personally could not think of a safer choice for an artist to admire.
And while I dismissed my "urban" gentleman as psychotic and hysterical, I always wanted to tell him to his face "you are so full of shit and ignorant".
But among the many crazy and fucked up stories I encounter everyday, this was sent to the dustbin of my mind and I never thought of it again.
Till Kiki Jr. brought it to my attention!
While her story is definitely less intellectual and more rife with cheesy sexual innuendos, the same hysterical, crazy lines apply.

And while I should gloat that someone finally rejected the "fabulous, gorgeous, irresistible" Kiki Jr., my mind was somewhere else.
My mind was mulling over the "gay scene", the scarcity, the incestuous mode of exchange, the criteria by which we think that someone is "interesting".
Spviak (I love this woman) accused as a Westernized subject, once said, I speak the master's tongue so I can speak. So I can be seen.
And making peace with "westernization" is a never-ending story.
Its a lifetime's work.
I'll leave that to another blog.. !
But the "scene", the "men" (oops I should not say that, because it had become so political lately to use any "tags") or rather the "individuals" (neutral enough?) and the "scarcity" is something I can't help but think of.
Kiki Jr. is popular with the "men" (oops I did it again, I used a "tag"), she is young (youth is the equivalent of female fertility for gay people), tall, endless legs and fits the whole Middle Eastern stereotype.
A very politically correct configuration.
And she is popular with the kind of "individuals" that fit my profile.
Individual in the age group of 25 to 35, who always want someone younger, a little frivolous and hip.
Kiki Jr. as Candice Bergen was saying in Sex and the City, is "fishing in my pool".
As if it was not hard enough for us to fish in the pool, a 19 years old bitch is competing!
Get the fuck out of my pool, bitch!
But even Kiki Jr. was shunned.
Even the celebrity wannabee, who had her five minutes of fame on Facebook, was not safe from being dissed by a potentially "interesting" "individual".
Even Kiki Jr. got the "message"!

Comments

Anonymous said…
But the "scene", the "men" (oops I should not say that, because it had become so political lately to use any "tags")

No comment!
S. said…
by the way... just last time when i said Men i wasnt labeling us as men or queens or fags or homo or tranies or god know what i hardly care about labels... i embrace the fact that there are so many diversity in the scene... i embrace the fact that there isnt one type of gay men i embrace the fact that well we have everything and the main stream really doesnt exist becuase we are so different... and its hardly hard to find one like that other... i hardly care about being politically correct... this is not some legal site last time i check... and that evident from my blog (The gay chronicles)

So E... keep on blogging in which ever style you want... you are entitled to your opinion
E said…
my darling S., that was beautifully said!
Thank you.
It is wise and mature.
Let bury the hatchet, and agree to disagree :)
kisses
Anonymous said…
why is nina simone your favourite singer?
E said…
Nina Simone is my favorite singer because she is bitter, she is fragile, very eclectic, angry, mournful, deep, violent, docile, vulnerable, impervious, black and white all at the same time.
Anonymous said…
must listen then!
Anonymous said…
why is it ok to refer to each other by "she" but it is not ok to refer to each other or some as "men"?
whether you like it or not you are born men at least most of you. You can change labels as much as you all want but that will never change the inside.
E said…
It seems we have one more dissident Anonymous!
Welcome!
And get in line to join those who are obsessed with their biological gender and can not see beyond it.

I am getting a little annoyed that those anonymous readers do not go through everything I write.
Because if they did, they would see that I do acknowledge the fact the biological sex of everyone mentioned in this blog is "male", but I am contesting it.
I am challenging it.
I am clearly, very loudly saying this "category" is insufficient.

This "tag" does not capture the difference, the variations, the multitude of identities represented.
This "term" does not do justice to those "people" who might be biologically "male" but do not necessarily identify with the social, cultural, political role dictated by such oppressive ideological terminology.

Now, I have stated and overstated this for the past six posts and I still get the same exact comments.
Some of us might be happy being called "men", but some of us are not!
"We" should be respected for the choices we make, just as "you" (the ones who are "men", and who feel this "inside", as if "inside" indicates anything or explains anything) made your choice to identify with and uphold the scared role of being a "man".

And just as you, very kindly, criticized "us" for our choices, we have the same exact right, to point out to how oppressive, condescending, manipulative the category of "men" is.
I hope this answers your question, Anonymous.

Popular Posts