Senicide



    The definition of Senicide is the abandonment to death, suicide or killing of the elderly.

Although there is no consensus yet as to what defines "old age", common wisdom and practice link it to retirement age. So somewhere between 60 and 65 is where you start being recognized as a "senior citizen".
So when you turn 28 you think you still have a good three decades before you are considered 'senile'.

Well, you are wrong.

In a parallel universe, were bodies are currency and particular features and qualities of human appearance are fetishized, you are a "grandma" before you know it.

And that is not me freaking out about growing old (I am but I never thought of myself as "senile or "elderly". Yet) that is actually how ageist the gay community is. Worldwide and in our little piece of heaven specifically.

I was always aware of how sensitive the fairies are about age, if human life is divided into stages and we pass from one stage to another, the queens are quite frantic in sticking to the rules.
16 to 20: young twinks
20-25: twink/dude
25-30: teetering on the abyss
30-40: senile/eat shit and die

I was enjoying my last days before I jump off the roof or go die with the elephants in the graveyard, before a 17 y/o called me a senile old lady.

It is the ultimate move to effectively destroy a queen. Not only point out her age but the social category that goes with it. Basically the 'non-existence' category.

What I found very interesting about the adolescent imbecile, is that she truly believed that I was "old" and hence could not keep with her and her avant-garde, progressive ideas.
My age became a hindrance in keeping up with the 'changes' happening in the world.
And I was very amused by the sincerity of her conviction. She tried time and again to explain to me that I really can not understand her.

She regarded my attempts at explaining that  28 does not diminish your mental faculties and that you can stay "connected" to the world, as completely futile and pathetic. It was a nuisance she can do without.
She even finished her sentence with a hash tag '#DoneHere'.
Speaking of a semantic qualifier. Of course this is only something you will only learn with age, apparently.

In truth, I don't mind Senicide. Despite deep religious objections to assisted suicide, I understand, on the emotional level, how it can be a relief. To all parties involved.
But an emotional relief, is quite a new and progressive concept. The history of Senicide, has to do with the burden of looking after the elderly especially in conditions of scarcity or famine or disease and less to do with the dignity of the human being.

I don't mind to be abandoned to death, but can it be something as poetic as what the Inuit used to do? (for doesn't the poetic always transcend the truth? It suspends the rational and hence is contra-reality?)
You know being abandoned on an ice floe, setting it adrift.
That is picturesque enough, no?

I was worried about trying to figure out what is that new role I should assume at this 'new phase', and along came a stunted juvenile to resolve the dilemma for me.

I will have those asps now, if you please.

Comments

Popular Posts