"Mad Girl's Love Song" or Sylvia Plath, Post-Revolution and Madness


"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)
The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
 
And alcohol fumes fill my head,
I wondered if it was just a dream,
I opened my eyes and you were dead. 
I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)
 
I stood longing for that embrace,
And the kiss you promised to give,
It was not you who did,
I knew I made you up inside my head.

God topples from the sky, hell's fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
 
A Revolution overwhelmed the false Idol,
And angels and saints flew instead,
They celebrate and I dread,
I wish I never knew your name.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)
 
You sung me songs and dances bizarre,
I am no longer sixteen and young,
You dissolved like vapour and fled,
And I am left with you inside my head.

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)"
 
I stare at the mirror and I can't see,
It is your reflection, the image you left,
I shut my eyes and you are still not dead,
I wish I never made you up inside my head. 
 
"Mad Girl's Love Song" is a poem written by Sylvia Plath in 1951,
The poem was first published in the August 1953 edition 
of Mademoiselle. (Information retrieved from Wikipedia) 
(Words in italics are the author's creation and not Sylvia Plath's) 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this game :)

Popular Posts